- This event has passed.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
12 December 2019 @ 9:00 am - 13 December 2019 @ 5:00 pm
LivingWorks ASIST – Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training Bunbury
APPLIED SUICIDE INTERVENTION SKILLS TRAINING is a 2-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid.
Participants learn to recognise when someone may be at risk of suicide and respond in ways that help increase their immediate safety and link them to further help.
ASIST aims to enhance a caregiver’s abilities to help a person at risk avoid suicide.
It is intended that ASIST participants will be better prepared to:
- Reflect on how attitudes and beliefs about suicide affect their intervention role;
- Discuss suicide with a person at risk in a direct manner;
- Build a collaborative approach to intervention focused on safe outcomes;
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in a way that meets their individual safety needs;
- Identify the key elements of an effective safety plan and the action required to implement it;
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community;
- Make a commitment to improving community resources; and
- Recognise that suicide prevention is broader than suicide first aid and includes life-promotion and self-care for caregivers.
The workshop helps people apply suicide first aid in many settings – with family, friends, co-workers and team mates as well as more formal helping roles. For further information, please refer to the ASIST website: www.livingworks.com.au/Training-Programs.html#ASIST